Friday, January 18, 2013

"My Most Anticipated of 2013" or "The Return: Part 2!"

A couple of days ago, I shared my New Years Resolutions with everyone. That was meant as the first in a three-part series of return posts. To continue looking forward, I also wanted to share a few of the things I am most excited to see happen in 2013.

It should be obvious by now that my tastes run more than a little on the nerdy side. It’s hard to argue, though, that science fiction and fantasy are where you’ll find some of the most innovative storytelling of our time. Just look at Cloud Atlas from last year - I can honestly say I’d never seen anything like it. This year holds a number of very exciting new possibilities in the world of fiction. These are my personal picks for the most anticipated books, games, series, and movies of 2013.

Book - Untitled Sandman Book
When Neil Gaiman announced that a new Sandman book was in the works there was nothing else he needed to say. I am already sold on the fact that this will be the best thing I read all year, barring some unforeseen circumstances. That being said… I’d really like to know more about it, soon! A title, story details, or a release date would be quite nice.
Runners up - Dresden Files #15, Saga

Game - Ni No Kuni
Studio Ghibli is one of the most innovative pioneers in the animation industry, rivaled only by Pixar in my opinion. So when they collaborate with a talented videogame company on the design and writing of a game, it catches my attention. If this turns out to be as beautiful and whimsical as Studio Ghibli’s film outings then this will become an instant classic. It comes out next week, so I won’t have to wait long in order to find out!
Runners up - Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Injustice: Gods Among Us

TV Show - S.H.I.E.L.D.
Joss Whedon returning to television is reason enough to celebrate. But Joss Whedon bringing the Marvel Cinematic Universe to television? That’s a recipe for fan boy rabies. Yes, I’m frothing at the mouth. Bringing Phil Coulson back only makes it worse, too. Watching the adventures of humans having to cope with a world full of superheroes should make for some incredibly fun drama. I hope they also manage to tie it into the films the way Marvel has expertly balanced bringing the films together. The occasional cameo from a famous hero (I’d say, at most, once or twice a season) could also be a lot of fun.
Runners Up - Arrested Development, Spartacus: War of the Damned, Game of Thrones

Movie - The Man of Steel
I’m a Superman fan. Anyone who knows me is well aware of this. But for those of you who don’t know me, let me tell you a little fact which may make it clear to you. I was one of the people who camped out, overnight, to see footage of The Man of Steel at San Diego Comic-Con in 2012. For a long time I was very lukewarm on this movie. The cast just didn’t feel right, and Zack Snyder is a very hit-or-miss director. But that footage which debuted at Comic-Con was jaw dropping. Now in a year that will include Star Trek Into Darkness and a second Hobbit movie, I’m most excited to see Superman’s origin story again, because it looks like they’ve made it pretty incredible.
Runners up - Pacific Rim, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Star Trek Into Darkness

So those are my most anticipated things in the upcoming year! What are you looking forward to most?

On Sunday there will be one last article, which shall detail the new release schedule for all of my stories! You can expect concrete release dates for new chapters to be announced for Warm Stone, Spiderman: Revenge, and Mass Effect: Babel.

*******

Official Author Page - http://www.facebook.com/julliangmortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment